27 May 2012

Green Smoothie Recipes

I hope those of you following my "Yoga's Place in the Workplace" series won't be too disappointed if I digress this week and post two smoothie recipes. Although I am still waiting for my Vitamix, I'm having a lot of fun playing with these green concoctions. I know I've probably been influenced by recipes posted in the past by Rebecca Pacheco and Daniel Max, so thanks guys, for inspiring me to play! Also, a great big thank you goes out to Russo's, the best place I know to get a ton of fabulous produce at a reasonable price.

Recipe #1
2 c raw baby spinach
1 c raw watercress
1 c unsweetened almond milk
1/4 c chopped raw mango
1/2 banana
1 Tbsp ground flax seeds

~219 calories

Variations: One time I had some leftover parsley and threw some of that in too. It was lovely! I also substituted 1/2 avocado when I ran out of mango. This was a slightly thicker consistency but still very tasty.

Recipe #2
This is the one that just made me write this blog, since it was somewhat different but still came out yummy!

2 c raw collard greens
1/2 c raw dandelion greens
1 c unsweetened almond milk
1/2 banana
1 1/4 Tbsp raisin sauce*
1 tsp wheat grass powder

~181 calories

*The raisin sauce I used was actually to get rid of leftovers from a Kripalu recipe I made last week. However, I found this almost identical raisin sauce recipe online to share with you.

Instructions & Tips
Instructions: For both recipes, blend on low until you reach the desired consistency. Both are around the same, although I found #2 to be a little thinner.

Tips:
  • Sometimes the banana I use is frozen because it was getting along and I tossed it in there to save it; I just defrost it in the microwave for a few seconds before chopping it up. 
  • Pre-wash and chop everything, and store in Tupperware / bags for easy access.
  • If you're really feeling a need to be efficient, put everything but the almond milk in the blender jar and store in the refrigerator until ready to blend. (I sometimes do this the night before if I want a smoothie for breakfast the next morning.)
If anyone else out there has a favorite green smoothie recipe, please let me know!

No comments :

Post a Comment