25 November 2012

Is it "taste-worthy"?

We're smack in the middle of the holiday season, and making good food choices has likely already been challenging for many of you. (I know it is for me.) However, I've come up with a very simple question that helps me in deciding whether or not to eat something.

I ask: "Is it taste-worthy?"

Seinfeld joke aside, the point is that whatever I decide to put into my mouth--especially if it's a dessert or other chocolate treat--has to be REALLY good. If I eat it, I have to know that I'm going to enjoy it thoroughly, and that it's not just going to be OK.
Chocolate Brownies

Here are some examples of when asking this question helped me make a good decision:
  • When out at a restaurant, faced with a dessert menu. Sure, there may have been some options, but were they more taste-worthy than the gourmet dark chocolate bar sitting in my pantry at home? No. I'd rather taste that.
  • At pot-luck gatherings. (My company likes to have "cookie lucks", which are even worse!) I can examine a dessert table and automatically exclude any obviously store-bought items. I also know I love chocolate above all else, so that reduces the number even further. And dark over milk (and definitely white -- foul stuff!), any day. Now I can make a few selections I'm more likely to enjoy.
  • This morning, when I tried making Paleo pumpkin pancakes. They were a crumbly mess. I took a bite and it tasted like it looked. Initially I was upset about wasting all the ingredients and time, so I thought about eating them anyway. Then I asked the question, realized how gross it tasted and figured my calories were better spent elsewhere.
Like all things in life, if nothing really grabs you, save yourself for something better! Savor what you choose. You won't have to feel guilty, you'll have satisfied any craving for a treat, and you'll be able to partake in the social connection.

1 comment :

  1. This reminds me of a phenomenon that I have labelled "dessert theater." I was at a party recently and the hosts had put out plates and plates of bought-at-a-bulk-discount-store cookies and brownies. There was one plate of real brownies that someone had brought, and those disappeared instantly, but the rest just sat there all night like a museum display. I suppose the fake desserts could make the hosts feel like they had done their jobs in providing desserts, but these cookies an cakes had no taste whatsoever. It's an odd phenomenon how rituals of food take over the actual purpose of it.

    ReplyDelete